Music or no music? That is the question.
Do you use music when you work out? There are lots of runners who do. There are also lots of runners who are what I would call “old school” and do not use music at all. They are just happy to hear the cadence of their breath and their stride. I pretty much fall into the use music category. The only exception to that would be if I’m running with someone, which is rare, because my need to talk supersedes my need for music. Or if I go on a short run and my iPod is on the fritz then I kinda enjoy the quiet. Forced solitude.
Oddly enough sometimes the music is just in the background and I don’t even listen to it. Sometimes I just have it going just because. I’m mainly using my iPod to track my distance and for the woman’s voice to give me periodic updates like “3 miles completed”. For example, I had my music on during the 1/2 marathon, but I didn’t really listen to it. Too many things going on – lots of people. It mostly just helped me get into the zone and tune other things out. Does that even make sense.
But as I ran last night I was deliberately thinking about my playlist as I ran. Perhaps I was just trying to make the run go by faster. It was friggin’ hot. So, I thought I would share it with you, plus my thoughts on it. Yes, I risk ridicule, but I can take it!
First, I have many playlists on my iPod: there there are the shorter and older ones: Runningfaith (mostly contemporary Christian songs); Runninggaga (all Lady Gaga); Runningmad (empowering women songs), and Running2 (a mixture with some old school – Centerfold!!). A little bit newer I have LongRun3, which is only 14 songs, but is still named that…not sure why. Then I have my actual longrun playlist which is called LongRun and has 48 songs on it. I have never heard them all yet. According to iTunes I have gotten through #38.
Here is Lisa’s LongRun (don’t judge!):
- Something Beautiful by NeedtoBreathe – love this song…not too sure why, but it is a good starting point.
- Free to Be by Francesca Battistelli – she is awesome live!
- Forgiven by Relient K – a little slow, but like the message
- Scars by Allison Iraheta – one of the American Idol top 12 a few years ago…good song
- Last Name by Carrie Underwood – hey, its Carrie!
- Cotton Eyed Joe by Crazy Frog – from my son’s CD – makes me smile!
- It’s Not Over by Daugherty – starts the empowering series
- What About Now by Daugherty – “yeah, what about now?!!”
- Money for Nothing by Dire Straits – 80’s throw back that I adore
- Sin Wagon by Dixie Chicks – usually I’m singing along by now
- Goodbye Earl by Dixie Chicks – yes, it is vigilante justice…and the problem with that is??
- Not Ready to Make Nice by Dixie Chicks – many times I get choked up with this one…not sure why…I will not be “nice”!
- One of those Days by FFH – this song reminds me of my husband so it makes me smile
- Urgent by Foreigner – another throw back that never gets old and makes me run faster
- Blue Sky by Francesca Battistelli – makes me think of summer
- Better Days by the Goo Goo Dolls – I like the one this song builds – good at the end of a run
- The Reason by Hoobestank – this is another one that reminds me of my husband – good harmonies
- Strength, Courage & Wisdom by India Arie – okay, she is the Queen of empowering!
- Centerfold by J Geils Band – yeah, I’m clapping at this point
- Speaking Louder Than Before by Jeremy Camp – this sucker moves
- Who I Am by Jessica Andrews – a little bit country girl/family stuff
- If Not You by Jo Dee Messina – general good one to sing to
- Black Horse and the Cherry Tree by KT Tunstall – catchy little diddy – usually either really tired or almost done at this point or both!
- My Life Would Suck Without You by Kelly Clarkson – because it is Kelly
- Since You Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson – still Kelly
- Gone by Kelly Clarkson – bring it on home Kelly!
- Live Like We’re Dying by Kris Allen – American Idol winner some year – great message!
That is not the entire thing, but at least through song 27. Man I’m tired just thinking about it!!! Maybe I should make a new playlist….